DOCTOR ENRIC CERA
According to popular lore, Dr. Enric Cera was the second doctor in Barcelona who made house calls in his own car.
According to popular lore, Dr. Enric Cera was the second doctor in Barcelona who made house calls in his own car, with the early number plate B-28. He also created car companies and was a founding member and president of the RACC motoring club.
Following in the footsteps of other countries, the Barcelona Automobile Club was created in 1903 to defend the interest of a growing group of motorists. The seven co-founders were Dr. Enric Cera, Josep Suitas, Joan Ponsa, Joan Reynes, Josep Bertrand, Marcel·lí Jorba and painter Ramon Casas, who designed several posters for the numerous races organised by the RACC in its initial stage.
Casa Enric Cera:
Enric Cera also had a house named after him (Casa Enric Cera) in the Gràcia suburb (Or 38-40 - Torrijos 53-59). The house was also built by Enric Sagnier, between 1888 and 1910, and is historicist in style. This mansion especially stands out for its two square towers topped by slate pinnacles.
Jalpí Castle (Arenys de Munt):
The Cera family’s investments in real estate even reached the village of Arenys de Munt in the Maresme county when they bought Jalpí mansion, also known as Jalpí Castle, from Sofía Algorta, the widow of Augusto Borrás-Jalpí, in the early 30s before the Spanish Civil War.
Dr. Cera made an earnest attempt to preserve this stately home that looked like a neo-gothic fortress, but the house was besieged and occupied by anti-fascist militia during the Republican period. Even important CNT leaders such as Juan García Oliver and Juan Negrín, president of the Republic, secretly lived there between 1936 and 1939.
The Cera family sold the estate in 2002 to the Entrecanales real estate company. Today, Jalpí Castle is owned by the Serhs Group and caters to weddings and corporate and cultural events.